[MEncoder-users] too many audio packets?

Matyas mplayer.list at sustik.com
Mon Dec 7 23:57:40 CET 2009

The Wanderer wrote:
> On 12/06/2009 01:36 PM, Matyas wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that I should not get the too many audio
>> packets message ever when using mencoder. I execute:
>>
>> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -channels 6 -aid 52 <input>.mpg -o
>> <output>.mpg
>
> You do know that, in the absence of the '-of' option, this creates an
> AVI file?

I was not aware of that.  This -of option is marked experimental in my docs,
and I never needed it (or was aware of me needing it).

I am using the resulting file as input to an encoding to h264 (and mkv
ultimately) and mencoder never failed because of the extension not matching
the actual type.  (I need the intermediary file because the -ss and -endpos
options do not work on the original.)

Is there any reason I should actually use the -of option in this case?  I can
certainly rename the file to have .avi extension, but I have a few scripts
that assume an .mpg extension.

I tried -of mpeg and I got the same error about the audio packets.

Thanks.
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.