[MEncoder-users] Mencoder produces jerky with textual fades out

Guillaume LACHAUD guilo19 at free.fr
Fri Dec 4 18:31:43 CET 2009

I have a video which comes from Adobe Premiere Pro (edited from a JVC hd
camera). It has been exported in Microsoft DV at 29.97 fps,
interlaced,720x480 .

I am trying to transcode it with mencoder but the output has a "hanging
problem". Let me explain :

There is a fading in of a text, than a fading out. everything is smooth
in the source file. But when I encode it in xvid or x264 or mpeg4 with
libavcodec, the fade-out hangs for 1 second. An exception though : the
first pass of x264 shows smooth playback but the second one has the same
problem as xvid.

mencoder Séquence\ 02.avi  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
pass=1:bitrate=1500:me_quality=6:qpel:gmc:trellis:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:vhq=4
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -o test.avi

The best should be to compare the source file and the produced one :

source file : http://perso.numericable.fr/guilo/source.avi

xvid file produced with mencoder :
http://perso.numericable.fr/guilo/xvid.avi

Note : - mencoder warns me about a lot of duplicate frames where it
hangs in playback. I have tried with kerndeint and vf pp=ha:c/va:c/dr/fd
but it doesnt help.
             - everything is ok when I encode with the same settings
with avidemux so it's why I think it is mencoder related. thanks