[MEncoder-users] Minimize posterization in areas of low contrast when downscaling HD h.264 to mpeg2video

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Aug 13 18:01:53 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:46:17 -0500, L Lee wrote:
> Thanks. Is there a way to do it while keeping MPEG2 format but not adhering
> to standard DVD restrictions?

I know there may be better sites, but Wikipedia states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG2#Video_profiles_and_levels

It lists aspect ratios (they mean display aspect ratios)
square pixels, 4:3, or 16:9

So the first setting would be correct if you just encode your video in
2.35:1, e.g. 2350x1000 (perhaps taking multiples of 4 (8? 16?) into
consideration for each direction).

In other words: MPEG2 in general can carry any format without
letterboxes. DVD is just a subset.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG2#DVD

(And the more I look at it, the more I consider that Wikipedia entry to
be pretty bad.)

Moritz