[MEncoder-users] ac3 reencode-channels confusion

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 10 23:18:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have to reencode ac3 audio because I want to do a reencode together with the scaletempo option, so "-oac copy" does not work.

As long as I use the default ("-channels 2"), it seems to work. But because the original audio track is a 6-channel-ac3, I switched to use "-channels 6".

No I hear everything which should be in the middle (e.g. every speaking actor of the movie) on the right speaker regardless which player I use (my standalone, xine or smplayer). Adding the option "-af channels=6" didn't help.

Everything I can see in the output of mencoder which could be related to the problem (either with the default or the channel option) is:

"[ac3 @ 0x30608a0]No channel layout specified. The encoder will guess the layout, but it might be incorrect".

Has anyone an idea what could be done?