[MEncoder-users] Encoding test results

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Mon Aug 3 19:24:27 CEST 2009

2009/8/3 Matyas <mplayer.list at sustik.com>:
> Grozdan wrote:
>> maybe AQ) disabled. Also no one uses qp for real encodes as there is a
>> much better and intelligent option in the form of crf.
>
> That was not mentioned in the documentation.  Also, trust but verify.
> Interesting that my qp result was the best (if you read the rest of my note).
>
> I will rerun the experiments without psy-rd and will update the results.

You shouldn't trust mplayer documentation that much. Come over to
doom9.org and you'll see the various discussions and tests between qp
and crf. Also qp wastes bitrate for no reason at all. The only reason
you would want to use it is, as Jason once said, for testing purposes.
If you do real encodes, then go with crf ;)