[MEncoder-users] hqdn3d and banding

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Mon Aug 3 19:19:29 CEST 2009

2009/8/3 Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com>:
> Is there any way to lessen banding when using the denoising filter? It's
> particularly frustrating with animation where the filter causes severe
> banding in areas of one solid color (or the noise makes the gradient
> almost undetectable). I hate noise, especially in cartoons, but banding
> is no fun either.

banding is really tough to get rid off. You'll either need to up
bitrate or use a much better denoiser than hqdn3d which mplayer
currently lacks. However, you can use the new dabanding filter during
playback. -vf gradfun. You can also add gradfun after hqdn3d (-vf
hqdn3d,gradfun) but I'm not sure how much it'll help since encoding
tends to bring back banding artifacts

Also keep in mind that a denoiser not only kills noise but also detail
since there's no perfect math algo that can "know" what's noise and
what not. A tiny bit of noise can be an advantage and can act as
dither to randomize quantization errors.