[MEncoder-users] AV sync issues with seperate audio and video encodeing

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 17:57:21 CEST 2009

Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> writes:

> Raimund Berger wrote:
>> Be aware though that mplayer won't honor that delay on
>> playback. Because MP4Box implements it via edit list atoms. Which is
>> perfectly standard compliant of course, and the proper way to do it. But
>> the mplayer ffmpeg MP4 demuxer ignores them anyway.
> It seems the PS3 ignores them as well. I was wondering why my files were
> perfectly synced in VLC and off on the PS3. Makes me even happy to have
> my TV as a second display so I can use VLC.

With mplayer, you can use the old mp4 demuxer on playback
mplayer -demuxer mov ...
which does honor those edit lists. But it lacks some other features the
ffmpeg demuxer has. Don't recall which exactly, because it's been awhile
since I looked at that stuff. Guess the stream identification wasn't
that mature in the "mov" demuxer, but all vital things should work.

I ran across this issue over a year ago when I tried encoding stuff
with Handbrake and had A/V issues. I asked on their board what was
wrong and they explained to me how much mplayer "sux" in that regard
and that they wouldn't change their code just to enable badly coded
other projects.

Since then, and because other playback software seems to be failing on
this issue either, I've been cutting resp. filling my audio streams to
get proper sync when I mux into mp4. Although this really is kind of a
weird situation given that the very same procedure, storing a delay
value in the container header, works alright for avi. It's really about
time mp4 came off the ground somehow.