[MEncoder-users] Trying to use Nero's AAC encoder, having trouble converting audio to intermediate lossless format

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:17:16 CEST 2009

RC wrote:
> mplayer -ao pcm
I did not think of looking into MPlayer's options (I don't use MPlayer
much). While looking around, FFmpeg does the trick, so I've been using
that. In fact, since FFmpeg will convert to FLAC properly (FLAC is
lossless and I will end up writing less to disk, so it should save some
time), and flac will decompress to stdout in a format that neroaacenc
understands, the following seems to work well:

ffmpeg -i test.mpg -vn -acodec flac -ac 2 -ar 48000 test.flac&&flac -d
test.flac -c | neroaacenc -q 0.4 -if - -of test.m4a

It'd be nice if I could pipe right into Nero's encoder, but this is
almost as good (although the console output gets messy with flac and
neroaacenc writing on the same line).

Thanks for the reply, though.