[MEncoder-users] Trying to use Nero's AAC encoder, having trouble converting audio to intermediate lossless format

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:02:18 CEST 2009

Nero's encoder is supposed to be much better than FAAC, so I'm trying to
use it. However, I can't seem to use FLAC or even PCM as an
intermediate. If I try to use lavc to convert to FLAC, I get messages
telling me the output buffer is too small. If I use -oac pcm, I have no
way to mux the raw PCM stream into a WAV container because MEncoder says
a video stream is mandatory and refuses to process the file. I can use
FAAC at the highest quality setting, but that's not lossless. I would
prefer to use FLAC, since it is probably faster (FLAC is a fast
compressor and there is less written to disk). Source audio is AC3 in an
MPEG-2 container, if that matters.