[MEncoder-users] Audio/Video desync during conversion by mencoder

Andrey Voropaev avorop at mail.ru
Fri Apr 17 13:14:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Brian Penick <bydivinerite at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well one reason your simple conversion worked with the avi file that had mp3
> audio is because it actually didn't convert anything.  any oac copy and ovc
> copy will copy those streams as they are into the avi container.  If mkv has
> vorbis audio then its not going to work in an avi container (i think, pretty
> sure avi can't deal with vorbis).  Also -vf scale is great and all but if
> you are copying the video then it doesn't scale anything because for vf
> scale to work you'll have to recode the video.  I think what you end up with
> is video at the same resolution and the new avi container just says its
> smaller.  You really need to find out which video format your pda can handle
> and what options it will support. Such as cabac, bframes, etc.

Hm. I'm using Nokia N800. It has mplayer (debian linux) and usually
they only recommend
resolution of 400x224 pixels for AVI files. From various docs I've obtained
supported video codecs 3GP, AVI, H.263, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, RV. Though I'm not sure
if this makes sense. I would try to play mkv file on it, but I have to
at least reduce the
resolution. I can't figure out how to tell mencoder to keep the file
as mkv. When I try to use option
-of lavf then I get segfault :(