[MEncoder-users] Purple blocks visible in xvid encode

Christopher Moore christopher at bnmintl.com
Fri Apr 3 05:15:53 CEST 2009

Hey everyone,

This just started happening to me during my last encodes (they were over
the past month so it's hard to exactly trace what went wrong).

I'm encoding from either a m2ts or a mkv -> xvid file, like I've done a
million times before, but now I'm getting these small purple squares
popping up frequently and in random locations in the video.  I thought
maybe it was the software, but it appears to be occurring in totem,vlc
and mplayer.

Here is the command I've been using:

mencoder "$1" -alang eng -ovc xvid -ffourcc XVID -xvidencopts
bitrate=4000:chroma_opt:quant_type=mpeg:vhq=4:bvhq=1:threads=4 -noskip
-mc 0 -vf pp=md,harddup,scale=1280:720 -forceidx -oac copy -channels 6
-o $1.avi -quiet

I've just updated to the latest video driver (180.44) and it still occurs.

Some stats about my system:

kernel: 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64
nvidia driver - 180.44 (this also happened with 180.29)
video card - GeForce 8500GT

xorg.conf settings:
    Option        "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes    "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
Section "Extensions"