[MEncoder-users] Understanding how to increase the size of subs

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Fri Apr 3 17:06:59 CEST 2009

David H. Trang wrote:
> I have a mkv file and I do a -sid 0 to use the sub, but the sub is very
> small I use this command:
>
> ./mencoder ~/Movies/5_Centimeters_Per_Second.mkv -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid
> -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=800 -alang jpn -sid 0 -subfont-text-scale 10 -v
> -o 5movie.avi
>
> Why do the size of the sub not increase?

Because mencoder has poor subtitle support. Use mplayer as
the input for mencoder (or ffmpeg) via a named pipe (FIFO)
if you want to do hardsubs. Then you can tell mplayer to
treat the subtitles as '-ass' and use '--ass_font_scale'
and the other ASS options to tweak the sub parameters.

There is this patch for mencoder to give it ass power:

http://smplayer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smplayer/mplayer-builds/patches/ass_support_for_mencoder.patch

But I don't know whether it works with the current mencoder
source. Somebody here who knows more about it may speak up.