[MEncoder-users] Recommended way to correct field order?

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 12:47:56 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to using MEncoder for making DVD-compliant encodes on
Windows.

The source material is DV AVI.

Authored DVDs look stunning on the PC (with e.g. PowerDVD) but look terrible
with shuddering motion on the stand-alone player.

Obviously the PC players deinterlace and the DVD player not, which lead me
to suspect a field order problem.

Currently my MEncoder command line does not address field order.

GSpot reports that the MEncoder source DV AVI is BFF, and that the ouput
MPEG-2 file is TFF.

What is the recommended way of correcting field order, and are there any
things I should watch out for?

Thanks kindly,
Francois