[MEncoder-users] losing 5.1 audio on -oac copy transcode

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Tue Sep 23 22:40:24 CEST 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Dan Shoup wrote:

> I did not realize that.  I did some "listening tests" and my transcoded
> file played with no options in mplayer (or played in GBPVR or VLC media
> player) comes mostly through the center channel with a little on the
> back speakers...but it is the just quality periodic noises, definitely
> not 5.1.  If I play it on mplayer with -afm hwac3 -channels 6 I hear
> lots of very realistic sound on the back speakers.  So I can not say for
> sure whether my receiver is truly producing 5.1 as it indicates, but it
> is a big step up in sound quality so I'm pretty sure it is.  Any other
> thoughts?

If I use the "-channels 6" option when ripping, "file" reports that the
resulting AVI has the proper number of channels. Dumping the AC3 streams
from the AVI's produced with and without "-channels 6" give streams that
identify themselves as:

ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 aka Dolby Digital stream, 48kHz,,complete main (CM)
3 front/2 rear, LFE on,, 448 kbit/s reserved Dolby Surround mode

The files themselves are not identical. Regardless, playing the original
DVD or the resulting AVI with "-channels 6" or not, mplayer always says
"AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 448.0 kbit/29.17% (ratio: 56000->192000)".
However, my old sony receiver, when using the optical output from a
DSM-520, identifies the streams as dolby 3/2 regardless of what the AVI
header or stream header or whatever claims, and also correctly calls an
AVI with mp3 audio "PCM". I have not yet tried a file with a true AC3
stereo stream for comparison.