[MEncoder-users] Build help - Defeating autodetection for x264 on Mac OS X !0.5

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Sep 23 21:26:11 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 13:12:02 -0500, Laine Lee wrote:
> On 9/23/08 12:27 PM, "Moritz Barsnick" <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > If it's in an unusual or undetected location: Use the flags
> > "--with-extraincdir=/path/to/dir/include" and
> > "--with-extralibdir=/path/to/dir/lib(64)" to help the configure
> > script detect your x264.
>
> Thanks.
>
> x264.h is in "/usr/local/include", and libx264.64.dylib and libx264.a are in
> "/usr/local/lib", so I added "--with-extraincdir=/usr/local/include" and
> "--with-extralibdir=/usr/local/lib" to the configure command. But I  get the
> same results.

So please post the relevant section of configure.log.

> But I'm interested in your reference to lib(64). I'm not sure what
> the significance of (64) is. If it's the processor, that triggers a
> red flag for me because I have core duo (32 bit) and not core 2 duo
> (64 bit).

Recently, libraries are often configured to be multilib-compatible.
That means their build system shall facilitate the installation both of
32bit and 64bit compiled versions. (You may see this on many Linux
installations on x86_64.) Therefore, on some systems, some 64bit
libraries end up in /path/lib64/ instead of /path/lib/. The philosophy
on Mac OS X may or may not be different, I just do not no, so I left it
as an option.

But trust me: Both Core Duo and Core 2 Duo support 64bit extensions,
almost identically. And as far as I know, Mac OS X in Intel is native
64bit (specified only to run on such Intel processors) and also
supports 32bit applications. I'm guessing the (second) "64" in your
libx264.64.dylib says that it's built for 64 bits. No red flag for you!
;-)

Moritz