[MEncoder-users] Why can't the PS3 play the mp4s produced by this mencoder command?

briaeros007 briaeros007 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:09:53 CEST 2008

2008/9/22, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk>:
> Hi there,
[...]
>  Any suggestions as to how I can fix this, please?
>  Am I being dumb in overlooking the dimensions of my MP4 file? Is that
>  somehow important?
>
>  Hopefully if I can make only one or two changes to the command passed
>  to mencoder - if I can make the changes to undvd minimal then
>  hopefully I can pass them upstream & get someone else to maintain
>  them. :)
>
>  Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
>
>  Stroller.

Hello,

I don't know how undvd work, but to be read on a PS3, an H264 video
stream must not have a level greater than 4.1

With mencoder , you can use the options 'level_idc=41'.
For example :
mencoder $1 -ovc x264 -oac copy -x264encopts
subq=6:pass=1:bitrate=$3:bframes=3:partitions=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4:weight_b:threads=auto:nopsnr:nossim:frameref=3:mixed_refs:bime:brdo:level_idc=41:direct_pred=auto:trellis=1
-o "$2.avi"

I hope it will work this way ;)