[MEncoder-users] avi to h264 crashing itunes

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 22:54:33 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Sebastian Kemper <sebastian_ml at gmx.net> wrote:
> Actually, have a look at the --help output of the x264 binary:
>
> -t, --trellis <integer>     Trellis RD quantization. Requires CABAC.
>
> I didn't check the source, really, but if the x264 guys write it
> down ...

I'm happy to be proven wrong. Here's what's written in line 488 of
encoder/encoder.c of x264 sources:

    if( !h->param.b_cabac )
        h->param.analyse.i_trellis = 0;
    h->param.analyse.i_trellis = x264_clip3( h->param.analyse.i_trellis, 0, 2 );

Now, I'd like to know if trellis _can't_ be implemented without cabac
or it's just that x264 folks just didn't care to implement that.

/me joins #x264

Guillaume
--
One should not give up hope on imbeciles. With a little training, you
can make them into soldiers.