[MEncoder-users] Mencoder just exits silently

Se Heon Ryu blankblackwhite at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 17:56:05 CEST 2008

If I remux non-working, mencoder created xvid file in ffmpeg using

'ffmpeg -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f mp4 -i blah blah',

xvid works on phone.

New setup was

lavfopts format=mp4
faacopts br=256:object=2:mpeg=4:raw
xvidencopts bitrate=768:max_bframes=0

(I think lavc-libfaac,lavc-libxvid will also work)

In brief:
mencoder encoding -> doesn't work
mencoder encoding and then ffmpeg remuxing -> work

I personally think libxvid in mencoder doesn't handle global header properly,
and that is why my phone blocks files encoded with libxvid.

Currently, I tweaked lavcopts a bit further so mpeg4 also looks great.
and my phone doesn't seem to handle advanced simple profile, hence XviD,
as I demand qpel, it plays it strangely.

I think it is now resolved.
If xvid encoder doesn't outperform mpeg-4 encoder,
or does same thing, when using simple profile,
I will just use lavc-mpeg4.

Thanks.