[MEncoder-users] rip dvd to mkv, ogm, mp4 script

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 15 04:58:56 CEST 2008

Martin Matusiak wrote:
> And this one just seems like an anomaly from the rule.
>
> You make a distinction between film and video, could you explain that?

Note that these are NTSC distinctions. PAL is different.

"Film" is material that was shot in camera, or digitally produced, to be
played at 23.976 frames per second (the same rate movies are played at
in a theatre). It is stored on the DVD with pulldown flags so that it
can be displayed properly on an NTSC television at 59.94 fields per
second. Basically, it is a series of progressive and interlaced frames
that can be "inverse telecined" back to the original 23.976 progressive
frames.

"Video" is material that was shot with a 59.94 fields per second video
camera, or edited on equipment designed to work with video-rate
material. Generally, for playback on a standard definition television,
the interlaced nature of this material does not matter, but for the
purposes of playback on progressive display devices (computers, hand
held devices, hi-def television sets) this material is deinterlaced,
either at the time of compression, or by the display device itself. Even
in a de-interlaced state, this material is 29.97 frames per second.

PAL is either 25 progressive frames per second, or 50 fields per second.
I have not found a way to detect if a PAL title is interlaced or not
(using mplayer - I can certainly detect it with my eyes), so I generally
just use the yadif filter in there to catch it in a "one size fits all"
way of dealing with the material.