[MEncoder-users] Encoding to Vorbis

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Oct 6 14:16:59 CEST 2008

Le quartidi 14 vendémiaire, an CCXVII, RC a écrit :
> Any reason you don't want to use AAC, or even MP3?  Seems much more
> common and certainly more widely compatible.

The answer "quality" comes to mind. MP3 is definitely not an option, since
it can not handle more than two channels. As for AAC, I have understood that
it has lower quality than Vorbis, and in the Free software community (Linux
distros, prebuilt binaries, etc.), it is rather less available than Vorbis
(this will change once Kostya's work is fully mature and merded).

> I recal someone posting some patches for Vorbis and Ogg encoding
> to the list quite some time ago... should be in the archives.

I saw it, but I find it quite strange: as is, -lavfopts acodec=vorbis works
just well and can output not-really-standard Vorbis-in-AVI that works with
other software. The mail introducing this patch implied that it did not work
and that more intrusive changes were needed.

I guess the rest of mencoder has changed since this patch which would make
thing easier nowadays.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George