[MEncoder-users] Encoding to Vorbis

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Oct 5 23:35:20 CEST 2008

Hi.

I like to encode videos to H.264 and Vorbis using mostly mplayer/mencoder.
At this time, I have to encode separately the audio and the video, using
awkward pipelines for the audio.

Using "-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=vorbis" would do the trick, and proves it
can be done in one pass. Unfortunately, this uses the native ffmpeg Vorbis
encoder, which is said to have very poor quality without a psychoacoustic
model.

Theoretically, "acodec=libvorbis" should be possible. Unfortunately, the
current configure system refuses to build the libvorbis encoder into
libavcodec; some time ago I tried to force it and it just segfaulted. Did
anyone manage to build mencoder with a working lavc/libvorbis encoder?

Alternatively, I may try to implement -oac libvorbis, this does not look
very hard. If I manage something working, would it be considered for
inclusion?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George