[MEncoder-users] pullup useless?

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Thu Nov 27 17:44:57 CET 2008

On Thursday 27 November 2008 17:15:39 Daniel Gnoutcheff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> OK, I'm working on making a DVD backup of a VHS tape of an old animated
> movie. I've already done the capture, stored in a huge .avi, video
> compressed with the lossless ffvhuff with the hope of making the thing
> fit on my HD without losing any information.
>
> I'm in NTSC country, and the movie is obviously telecined via 2:3
> pulldown. I want to do an inverse pulldown on it.
>
> Now, the detc filter works - but not perfectly. It seems to miss things
> when there is only a little bit of isolated movement. So I'd like to use
> one of the reputedly better pulldown and filmdint.
>
> But there's a slight problem. pulldown does nothing. At all. mencoder
> runs, but the video comes out unchanged and still telecined.
>
> Now, I might put this down to noise - the VHS is crappy, the VCR is
> crappy, and the TV capture card is crappy - but there are some scenes in
> the source video (e.g. during pans) where the telecining is *really*
> obvious. But to my horror, pullup doesn't get a clue.
>
> I've tried adjusting pullup's parameters to help - I made it ignore some
> junk on the top and bottom, and I adjusted the sc paramiter. My latest
> attempt:
>
> mencoder sw7d-telcine.avi -vf pullup=2:2:4:4:-1:0,softskip -oac copy
> -ovc copy -o test.avi

You cannot, and I mean you CANNOT use audio/video filters when doing
audio/video stream copy.

-ovc copy means just that. It just copies the stream without modifications. No
filters will ever work with -ovc copy or -oac copy and that's why your
pulldup doesn't "work"

also mùake sure to force the fps to 23.976 when using the pullup filter

> sw7d-telcine.avi is a sort clip extracted from the big capture that
> shows a pan, with very obvious telecine. I understand that this command
> has pullup ignore 16 pixels on the left, 16 on the right, 8 on the top,
> and 8 on the bottom.
>
> The resulting test.avi is indistinguishable from sw7d-telcine.avi,
> telecine and all.
>
> Any ideas? How should I make pullup deal with noise? How to I give this
> thing a clue, especially given the detc handles the same clip
> beautifully?
>
> Thanks all,
> Daniel

Regards