[MEncoder-users] mencoder flags

Mplayer user mplayer at morhold.ru
Sat Nov 22 12:54:44 CET 2008

Hello!

Sorry for newbie questions, but I want to capture and store video from
outdoor cam. The resolution is 720x578, there is no fast motion and
motion is rare at all. I'd like not to use too much storage space, but
keep picture details.
For now, I'm using
"driver=v4l2:input=0:noaudio:width=720:height=578:fps=1:norm=SECAM -of
avi -ofps 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts gray", but result is rather fat IMHO,
and I'd prefer more fps anyway. What coder and flags can you recommend
me for this case?

Another question is how to store files: I'd like to capture cam nonstop.
For now I'm thinking of using " -frames 600 " and restart mencoder with
endless cycle. Is there any better way to solve this problem?

And the last question: I'd like to see the cam result in realtime. Is
there any way to encode current cam output and display it to user? Is
there any way to do it with different fps and different resolution? I'd
prefer to combine encoding 720x578 at 3fps with displaying 640x480 at 15fps
(like "mplayer
driver=v4l2:input=0:noaudio:width=640:height=480:fps=15:norm=SECAM -vo
svga").

I'm using Ubuntu lenny/sid with saa7134 driver and philips 7131 chip.