[MEncoder-users] PAL -> NTSC

Martin martin.kemp at morganstanley.com
Tue May 27 11:34:31 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I've had a look through the archive, but couldn't see anything specifically on
this.

I have an interlaced PAL AVI captured from a DV source and want to convert it
to an interlaced NTSC AVI.

I'm new to mencoder and keep finding myself lost in the sea of commands...

I know i need the frame rate converted from 25fps to 29.97fps, the size from
720*576 to 720*480, and the field dominance reversed.

I'm trying...

mencoder file.avi -ovc raw -vf scale=720:480:1 -field-dominance 1 -ofps
30000/1001 -oac pcm -o file_ntsc.avi

At the moment, it's throwing up a -vo error, which i think is to do with the
fact the PAL AVI is in a Matrox DVCPRO format, so I'm playing it out as an
uncompressed AVI to try again.

Do I have to change the pixel aspect ratio, and if so, how do i do that in
mencoder? Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions? I'm trying to avoid
going the AVIsynth route for the moment.

Many thanks,

Martin