[MEncoder-users] Variable frame rate from rtsp source

walter walter.pubaddr at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:08:10 CEST 2008

Hi all,

i'm trying to acquire an rtsp video stream from an axis-210 ip camera. I'm
using the following command line (mencoder recompiled from svn, 20 of may 2008):

mencoder rtsp://192.168.0.210/mpeg4/media.amp -ovc copy -o test.avi

Everything works fine, and the frame rate is guessed correctly. The problem
occurs when the frame rate of the stream is changed from the camera's web
interface (say from 12 to 13, or from 6 to 12 fps). In this case, mencoder exit
immediately and quietly, with no error or log report. The recorded video is ok
up to the point where the frame rate changed. I've tried to play with the -fps
option, without any luck.

Do you know if there is any command line option to overcome this problem, and/
or any pointers to relevant part of the source code?

As an aside, i've notice that ffmpeg does not suffer of the above problem, and
the resulting video is correctly played by Mplayer with the variable frame
rate. I assume that is because ffmpeg uses its own rtsp implementation, instead
of live555.

Thanks in advance

walter