[MEncoder-users] number of yuv4mpeg frames does not match audio length.

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu May 22 03:14:51 CEST 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 19:18:26 +0200
Maarten de Boer <mdeboer at iua.upf.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to convert a VOB file to h264+aac in an mp4 container
> (using x264, faac and MP4Box). I don't get the mp4 to be A/V sync (the
> material has some very obvious points). Investigating this problem, I
> found that the yuv4mpeg stream that I am using as input for x264 does
> not have the expected number of frames.

Mencoder supports x264 and faac directly.  Just use mencoder for
encoding, instead of everything in seperate steps.

> Especially the ffmpeg output is quite surprising. I guess the
> mplayer/mencoder output could be correct, and the sync problem is
> elsewhere, though this still doesn't account for the missing frame...

Most Audio/Video formats aren't so stupid that they have to output X
frames for every second of audio.  Time-stamps in the file tell
the player how to adjust for missing or extra frames.

Mencoder is probably the only program that can properly convert a video
so that audio and video are the same length, but that requires
lossless reencoding and then dumping to yuv.  Since mencoder can just
encode into the format you want directly, I suggest you simply use it
as intended.