[MEncoder-users] extracting mpeg2 stream from dvd

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Tue May 20 05:04:44 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Giacomo Comes wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 09:55:54PM -0500, Wes Morgan wrote:
>> I want to dump each title on a DVD to a single mpeg2 stream... If I use
>> the simple "mplayer -dumpstream" option, I end up with what seems to be
>> multiple mpeg2 streams concatenated (each title of the dvd). This plays
>> hell with my media player when it starts a new stream (yes, that means the
>> player is probably broken -- but mplayer knows there is something weird
>> about it as well).
>>
>> Trying to use "-oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg2 -mpegopts format=dvd" results
>> in a file whose playback is "jerky", most likely because of the hundreds
>> of skipped frames... However, throwing in "-noskip" dies with the dreaded
>> "too many audio packets in the buffer" error. Using "-mc 0" and harddup
>> (in many combinations) kills the audio sync. I don't think it will work
>> without -noskip.
>>
>> The source is full of mixed progressive and telecined (or possibly
>> interlaced) content. Setting -ofps, -fps, nothing seems to work correctly.
>> All I need to do is make a single working mpeg2 stream from a dvd, seems
>> like it should be simple... I'm hoping there is a command-line solution,
>> as this needs to be done to about 50 discs with 4 titles each.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -noskip -ofps 24000/1001 -mc 0 -ovc copy -oac copy
>
> used to work (rc2). Not checked with recent svn.

I've tried this as well, but the source video is of such mixed framerate
that mencoder has big problems. With 24000/1001, it generates thousands of
"Too many video packets in the buffer" errors and the audio sync is
destroyed. Trying 30000/1001 results in a few buffer underflows and
finally dies with "Too many audio packets in the buffer".