[MEncoder-users] flv encoding problem

Tripp eliared at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 21:07:17 CEST 2008

--- Axel Huizinga <axel at 3drachen.de> wrote:

> Corey Hickey schrieb:
> > Axel Huizinga wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> hope anyone has an idea how to solve my pixelation problem.
> >> Converted my avi video with
> >> ffmpeg -i /tmp/0001_0301.avi -y -vcodec flv -b 100k   -f flv
> starlogo.flv
> >>
> >> the output runs smooth via     mplayer
> http://enerstar.de/starlogo.flv
> >> but while playing it in a swf flvplayer there appears some
> pixelation:
> >>

> >> http://enerstar.de/videoScreen.php?movie=videoPlayer.swf
> >>

> > ...looks about the same to me...
> >
> > I think the difference is that your swf player is displaying the
> first
> > frame for a moment while it buffers (or something) and the first
> frame
> > looks quite ugly.
> >
> > $ mplayer starlogo.flv -vo png -frames 1 && display 00000001.png
> >
> > I expect that you'll get better results with 2-pass encoding and
> some of
> > the higher-quality options of ffmpeg/mencoder: mbd=2, trell, etc.
> >
> Hi Corey,
> the ffmpeg options are quite complex - so if you're still interested
> put the avi online at
> http://enerstar.de/starlogo.avi

the avi is already shot,
with a bad first frame, and fairly jittery motion.
plus it's mpeg2 in avi
??

anyway...

i have a useful ffmpeg commandline

ffmpeg -i starlogo.avi -pass 1 -qcomp 0.65 -qmax 21 -qdiff 3 -an
-vcodec flv -b 175K -g 160 -mbd 2 -cmp 3 -subcmp 3  -flags
+aic+cbp+mv0+mv4+trell -sc_threshold 8000 -y outfil5.flv

ffmpeg -i starlogo.avi -pass 2 -qcomp 0.65 -qmax 21 -qdiff 3 -an
-vcodec flv -b 175K -g 160 -mbd 2 -cmp 3 -subcmp 3  -flags
+aic+cbp+mv0+mv4+trell -sc_threshold 8000 -y outfil5.flv

which will output the same size as your sample,
but you'll want to start with a better source,
upping bitrate is most times the best solution,
filtering is a fair idea to consider.

i have a mencoder command for flv somewhere too.

tripp