[MEncoder-users] Merging H.264/AAC movies [HELP]

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue May 20 00:22:27 CEST 2008

Raimund Berger wrote:
> Henk Schoneveld <belcampo at zonnet.nl> writes:
>
>>> One problem with MP4Box's delay parameter is that not all mp4 players
>>> honor the delay tag, Quicktime included.
>>>

>> Never noticed a problem with it, also couldn't google info saying such,
>> maybe I'm not searching the right way.
>
> The statement is partly right though. E.g. mplayer svn at some point
> defaulted to lavf for mp4 demuxing, which doesn't care for the edit
> list atom implementing the start time delay, in nonconformance with
> the standard. RC2 on the other hand defaults to libquicktime for
> demuxing, which does honor it.

Actually, mplayer used it's own quicktime demuxer, which is still there,
but deprecated. It is somewhat messy and unmaintained. You can use it
with '-demuxer mov'.

> It's one of several issues I ran into with svn. By now, I tend to
> advise against using it and rather revert to rc2, if reliable and
> predictable behavior is desired.

I don't pay much attention to quicktime stuff, but if the ffmpeg
developers are unaware of deficiencies in the lavf demuxer, you ought to
file a bugreport for them.

-Corey