[MEncoder-users] flv encoding problem

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon May 19 09:42:35 CEST 2008

Axel Huizinga wrote:
> Hi,
> hope anyone has an idea how to solve my pixelation problem.
> Converted my avi video with
> ffmpeg -i /tmp/0001_0301.avi -y -vcodec flv -b 100k   -f flv starlogo.flv
>
> the output runs smooth via     mplayer http://enerstar.de/starlogo.flv
> but while playing it in a swf flvplayer there appears some pixelation:
>

> http://enerstar.de/videoScreen.php?movie=videoPlayer.swf

...looks about the same to me...

I think the difference is that your swf player is displaying the first
frame for a moment while it buffers (or something) and the first frame
looks quite ugly.

$ mplayer starlogo.flv -vo png -frames 1 && display 00000001.png

I expect that you'll get better results with 2-pass encoding and some of
the higher-quality options of ffmpeg/mencoder: mbd=2, trell, etc.

You didn't provide the source video, though, so I can't test myself and
say for sure.

-Corey