[MEncoder-users] encoding technical question

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:42:48 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
<please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt you can read:
> > < 0.10: don't do it. Please. I beg you!
> > < 0.15: It will look bad.
> > < 0.20: You will notice blocks, but it will look ok.
> > < 0.25: It will look really good.
> >  > 0.25: It won't really improve visually.
> >  > 0.30: Don't do that either - try a bigger resolution instead.
> This seems very radical. Perhaps this is for an outdated encoding technology.

Yes indeed. encoding-tips.txt has been only kept as a "casual
reference": your should really only read the recommendations at the
bottom of this section:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-resolution-bitrate-compute

Guillaume
--
I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he
bounces when he hits bottom.