[MEncoder-users] Distributed transcoding

Jens Buysse jens.buysse at intec.ugent.be
Tue May 13 15:59:37 CEST 2008

Hi,

as I have explained in a previous post to this mailing list I'm trying
to transcode my video file in a distributed way!

This is my code so far:

#Splitting the file

input=$1

mencoder $input -oac lavc -o geluid.mp3

mencoder -endpos 00:00:06 -ovc copy -oac copy $input -o first_half
mencoder -ss 0:00:06 -oac copy -ovc copy $input -o second_half

#Transcoding the file

mencoder first_half -ovc lavc -oac lavc  -o first_half.avi

mencoder second_half -ovc lavc -oac lavc -o second_half.avi

rm first_half
rm second_half

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy first_half.avi second_half.avi -o
transcoded.avi

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy  -audiofile geluid.mp3  transcoded.avi -o
output.avi

But I get very strange things with this. When playing with VLC it is
totaly corrupted and when playing it with Mplayer I get a file with sync
(at first) all right but the transcoding of the first part is very poor
(though the first_half.avi is completely correct).

What am I doing wrong?