[MEncoder-users] Remuxing to mp4 on windows

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Sun May 11 11:34:20 CEST 2008

James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> writes:

> mp4box -aviraw video temp.avi
> mp4box -aviraw audio temp.avi
> rename temp_audio.raw temp_audio.aac
> mp4box -add temp_video.h264 -add temp_audio.aac -fps 23.976 -tmp c:\temp
> MyMP4.mp4
>
> mplayer plays the resulting file fine. The problem is that Quicktime
> will not play the file, with the message: Error -2041: An invalid sample
> description was found in the movie (MyMP4.mp4).
>
> However, if I separately encode the audio with some other program like
> neroAacEnc, Quicktime is quite happy with the file that mp4box produces.
> So there is something "funky" about the .aac audio stream that is
> produced by the mencoder / mp4box method. Any ideas?

Try

mp4box -aviraw video temp.avi
mp4box -aviraw audio temp.avi
rename temp_audio.raw temp_audio.aac
mp4box -add temp_audio.aac temp_audio.m4a
mp4box -add temp_video.h264 -add temp_audio.m4a -fps 23.976 -tmp c:\temp
 MyMP4.mp4

I believe that should playback OK in qt.

Again, I can't give you technical details about why this intermediate
step is necessary, as I myself just macheted my way through the
AVC/AAC/MP4 jungle, leaving a lot stuff aside on the way.

Roughly, I guess it has to do with mp4 allowing various muxing options
and formats depending on whether you want to stream or not etc, plus
Apple implementing it's own peculiarities.

The intermediate step above is often quoted as achieving iTunes
compatibility. And I didn't yet find a way to do it in 1 step muxing,
as QT compatibility isn't my prime objective right now. Maybe it's
possible with mp4box, maybe not. Let us know though if you find out
more.