[MEncoder-users] NTSC DVD ripping - inverse telecine artifacts

Justin Randall jrrandall at gmail.com
Sun May 11 03:02:58 CEST 2008

>  > mencoder -vf pullup,softskip,pp=lb,hqdn3d=3:2:3:3  -ofps 24000/1001

>  I find that adding 'harddup' as the last element in the filter
>  chain prevents sync errors and never seems to hurt things.

Thanks Phil that is a great point, harddup can help a lot with audio
sync issues if you transcode later on, and it should never hurt to put
at the end of your video filter chain.  If you use harddup then
mencoder will not write "0 byte" chunks for duplicate frames, but
instead actually encode the frame twice.  This means that A/V sync
will actually be correct in all container formats and not just avi.
Only drawback is a slightly bigger file size for your avi file, but
the major plus is what Phil said, you won't have the frustrating A/V
sync issues with other containers.  So try this:
mencoder -vf pullup,softskip,pp=lb,hqdn3d=3:2:3:3,harddup  -ofps 24000/1001

Good luck!
Justin