[MEncoder-users] Remuxing to mp4 on windows

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat May 10 04:53:05 CEST 2008

Nicolas Hesler wrote:
>> Yes, I was specifically saying that that does not work for me. Mp4box
>> does not like the resulting audio file. Perhaps you can include the
>> encoding options you used in Mencoder that worked for you?
>>
> Don't use faacopts "raw".  It doesn't work for me with that option.
>
> mencoder -sws 9 -vf dsize=1280:720:0,scale=0:0,expand=1280:
> 720,harddup -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=8000 -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:
> object=2:br=224 -channels 2 -srate 48000 -ofps 24 export.avs -o h264.avi

Thank you. :) That was what I was doing wrong. MP4box seems happy with
the output now. Just wish -af volnorm=1 didn't cause such abrupt changes
in volume so that I could normalize the volume within mencoder.

Another issue I seem to be wrestling with is that mp4box, and
mp4creator, both seem to have problems with mp4 files that are larger
than 4Gb. Of course the first movie I tested things with was less than 2
hours long, and the resulting file was well under 4Gb in size and
everything worked fine. The second movie I tried was well over 2 hours
long, and resulting h264.avi was nearly 5.5Gb, and neither mp4box nor
mp4creator will mux it without failing towards the end and leaving
behind a corrupt mp4 file.