[MEncoder-users] Remuxing to mp4 on windows

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Fri May 9 06:05:16 CEST 2008

James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> writes:

>>  MP4Box -aviraw video clip.avi
>>  MP4Box -aviraw audio clip.avi

> In my testing I found that while the video file produced by this method
> is valid, the audio file is not.

Interesting. The only pitfall I've encountered when encoding to AAC
with mencoder is that the faac object/mpeg options get defaults
different from those of (standalone) faac itself, producing
problematic audio files.

I think it was the MAIN object type complexity which led to kind of
distorted audio on playback, and the MPEG version flag 2 which could
cause compatibility problems. Don't ask me about details though.

Anyway, when reproducing the faac defaults with mencoder options

 # LOW complexity, MPEG 4
 -faacopts br=whatever_number:object=2:mpeg=4

I could always encode video/audio simultaneously to AVC/AAC with
mencoder into one avi and demux as described above. Gave me both valid
video and audio files MP4Box was happy with.