[MEncoder-users] wmv audio codecs support at linux 64?bit?system?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Mar 30 13:14:57 CEST 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 06:08:42 +0000, martinnitram wrote:
> Moritz Barsnick <barsnick <at> gmx.net> writes:
> > Recent libavcodecs, which are developed with ffmpeg and used by mplayer
> > and mencoder, also support WMV and WMA natively. Well, perhaps not all
> > versions of Win*ows Media, but it has worked fine for me quite some
> > while.
> > ffmpeg -formats | grep -E "wm(a|v)"
>   maybe caused by newest version if WMV? coz those files download from microsoft
> website and should be in WMV3 format (code 0x162)

I unfortunately couldn't find samples on the MS website (perhaps I'm
using the wrong browser ;->), but I can confirm that the
libavcodec/wma.c and wmadec.c known only about "version 1" and "version
2" WMA.

Actually, digging further, 0x162 is "Windows Media Audio Pro".
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Windows_Media_Audio_Pro

There's a link in that articles to samples on the mplayer website:
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/WMA9/wmapro/
and indeed they don't play with libavcodec or in ffmpeg.

D'uh.
Moritz

P.S.: Thanks, Microsoft.