[MEncoder-users] wmv audio codecs support at linux 64 bit?system?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Mar 30 12:47:48 CEST 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:23:18 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> You really should actually benchmark such statements

Sorry, I didn't benchmark, I relied on hearsay. Articles such as this
one and quite a few others:

http://www.osnews.com/story/5768

> for H.264 the difference in my tests (which may not be
> representative) were > 10% in decoding speed. Probably mostly due to
> having twice as many registers available in 64 bit mode.

I agree, indeed 10% is (or _may_ just be, according to the use model)
significant.

Anyway, if it's just for WMA with DLLs, just install two versions of
mencoder. A proper one, and a 32bit one for the Windows DLL hack. ;-)

Sorry,
Moritz