[MEncoder-users] wmv audio codecs support at linux 64 bit?system?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Mar 29 22:12:06 CET 2008

Hi RVM,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 19:54:21 +0100, RVM wrote:

> > yep, you should be able to use the 32 bit mplayer on the 64 bit os
> Wouldn't that affect performance?

I think you haven't understood the impact of AMD64/x86-64 extensions.
There is a small set of architectural enhancements which were also
introduced, which lead to small performance increasements. But apart
from that, all you basically get is the extension of address space. (So
for applications with a large memory footprint (we're speaking >4GB),
that may indeed help.)

The performance impact is minimal. But I indeed believe it's quite
unfortunate having to revert to 32bit applications and libs on a 64bit
OS.

Moritz