[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) microchip at telenet.be
Mon Mar 24 20:17:48 CET 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 20:08, Erik Slagter wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> > and you say mencoder can't do that, right? it can't hardcode subtitles?
> > well, everytime i run h264enc, it proves you wrong about this... if you
> > don't specify the -vobsubout option of mencoder, by default mencoder will
> > hardcode the subtitles... period, been there, done that, seen it all...
> > over
>
> I'm saying that mencoder cannot hardcode subtitles coming from a DVD
> (mpeg program stream) while transcoding without the use of several steps
> involving temporary files holding the subtitles. Mplayer can actually do
> this, but it cannot transcode at the same time, which annoys me.

ok then. So all my DVD (MPEG2 PS) -> H.264 rips with hardcoded subtitles don't
actually exist. According to your claim all the rips that I have with
hardcoded subtitles are ghost rips and I haven't actually done them? You said
that you read somewhere that some ffmpeg dev claimed that it can't be done,
so all the physical proof that I have here must be coming from an alternate
dimension where it is possible to hardcode subs with mencoder... I don't know
where you get your information, but mencoder for sure can do two things

- hardcode subtitles
- dump subtitles to files in vobsub format

> dvd -> mencoder -> mp4, in one pass, I think that's impossible. My
> approach (though not the beauty itself) does it all in one pass.
>
> If I have some spare time the next days I will have another go at
> mencoder, if only to remember what exactly was the problem with mencoder
> and subtitling.

maybe when you tried that you had a bad mencoder/mplayer version. I've seen it
before mencoder not willing to hardcode/dump subtitles

--
Regards