[MEncoder-users] Making an AVI which delcares itself to be interlaced

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 00:31:55 CET 2008

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:

> Since you're already dealing with interlaced content, you don't need interlace
> filters. Those are only useful if your content is progressive, which yours
> isn't. So in your case, just enable interlace-aware software scaler and turn
> on interlace-aware mode in Xvid with the interlacing option... then just
> encode... your options could look like this:
>
> -vf scale=720:480:1,harddup -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> bitrate=100000:interlacing:trellis:chroma_me:max_bframes=2  .......

I don't know if you intended me to remove the other xvidenc opts... I'm trying
it without. I assume me_quality=6 was the motion estimation quality? Why would I
not need that? I guess it uses more CPU time for better ME? I also noticed that
my GOP was 300 which might explain why seeking was so slow - I'm trying
max_key_interval=20. I also noticed that whereas previously I had two p-frames
for each b-frame, and now I have one p-frame for each b-frame - I don't know
what changed that, or whether it matters.

Anyway, the point is, I still don't see TFF or BFF set. (I don't know if it's a
property of the container or the datastream, but in either case, gspot doesn't
report it, so I'm assuming that when I import this stuff into my video studio
program, I will still need to tell it manually that it's field-B.)

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas?
--
Andy