[MEncoder-users] mencoder: white converted to grey

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Mar 21 23:13:03 CET 2008

Hi Pieter,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 01:49:35 +0100, Pieter Eendebak wrote:
> The video does play well on my other computer. On my laptop the white
> still appears as gray (totem, mplayer and kaffeine-xine under Ubuntu
> linux), under Vista (media player) the movie plays correctly.

Here's another guess: All your Linux players on your laptop are using
Xv.

My Xv (on Matrox G550) is by default always mistuned, i.e. basically
quite a few steps too dark.[*] In mplayer, I always start out pressing
'2' (or was it '4'?) a few times.

You can compare the result e.g. in mplayer if you choose a different
output driver, such as -vo x11 or -vo gl2.

You can use xvattr
(http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/downloads.shtml) to set your
optimal settings from your ~/.xinitrc (or whatever your system uses). I
can't recall what the graphical tool was called to test the tuned
settings, sorry, but I do remember having tried something.

Just a guess,
HTH,
Moritz

[*] At the same time, the whole displayed is a bit misaligned in terms
    of contrast and color. I will be trying these shorty:
    http://www.linux.com/articles/113936
    http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html