[MEncoder-users] Can I split multi-chunked AVI?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Mar 18 09:48:51 CET 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:24:36 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Monday, 17 March 2008 at 20:11, Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
> > This is because I doun't like to re-encode this file, so I'd prefer to split
> > it somehow.
>
> Yes. Use -ovc copy -oac copy -noodml and appropriate time
> specifications, for example -endpos 01:00:00 for the first hour and
> -ss 01:00:00 for the rest.

If you desire not to recode your AVIs, but split them afterwards: The
transcode package includes a tool named "avisplit" (among others).

DESCRIPTION
       avisplit splits a single AVI-file into chunks of size `size'.
       Each of the created chunks will be an independent file, i.e. it
       can be played without needing any other of the chunk.

HTH,
Moritz