[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime and broken mencoder options

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Mar 8 01:49:25 CET 2008

L'octidi 18 ventôse, an CCXVI, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto a écrit :
> Yes I am. I know that PSNR numbers are not a perfect way of
> measuring visual quality, but I don't know of any other metric.

It is possible to compute the linear correlation coefficient between the
original and the encoded result, plus factors to ensure that the correlation
function is actually the identity. I took the idea from <URL:
http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~zwang/files/papers/quality_2c.pdf
 >, where the experiments seemed to indicate this was a better estimation of
a subjective quality than the PSNR; but of course, they will not say that
their work is lousy.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George