[MEncoder-users] h264 (and help with encoding) or divx

Brian Penick bydivinerite at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:43:18 CET 2008

Sorry, the nob_pyramid. won't help with the blocking, only the choppiness.
The cpu in the xbox isn't fast enough to handle the b_pyramid option because
it requires extra decoding time due to the fact that it allows b-frames to
be predicted off of other b-frames.  The problem is that the reference
b-frames also have to be predicted from a P or I frame.  So it results in
extra decoding time before a frame can be displayed. As far as the blocking
is concerned try taking out the 8x8dct option and setting partitions=all
(this option dependent on how new your mencoder version is).  You could try
using the pp deblocking video filters before encoding. Also I believe crf
was designed for single pass video encoding which negates all of your qp
settings the x264 codec will ignore them for crf.  Pretty sure you have to
set a bitrate for multipass encoding. Lastly I think setting qpmax to 51
might result in some bad quality still frames because it'll pull the bitrate
to motion scenes try setting it to 31.