[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime and broken mencoder options

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 17:57:57 CET 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:51:24 -0300
Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my case, the mbcmp=2 option is helpful,

mbcmp=<0-2000>
Sets the comparison function for the macroblock  decision, *only used if
mbd=0.*

> but setting any other comparison function to 2 only makes things
> worse.

I hope you aren't basing your decisions just on PSNR.  There are
innumerable situations where PSNR numbers are quite the opposite of
perception.  Read the man page entry about qns for an example.  Or
better yet, look at On2's marketing of their codecs, getting
ridiculously high PSNR numbers, despite terrible quality.