[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime and broken mencoder options

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 5 20:42:21 CET 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Rich Felker wrote:

>>> I believe that your Q value is not relevant: why PSNR/bitrate rather than
>>> PSNR²/bitrate or PSNR/bitrate², or PSNR/log(bitrate) or... PSNR itself is a
>>> logarithm of mean square error, there is no reason that a simple division
>>> should be the relevant measure.
>>
>> The Shannon-Hartley theorem
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon-Hartley_theorem) suggests to me
>> that information is proportional to the PSNR (I know I am stretching
>> things here, and I may be wrong).
>
> Amount of information and quality are not necessarily very close when
> it comes to human perception.

You don't even have to get into psychovisual arguments.
PSNR/bitrate is wrong because a _factor_ of X in bitrate corresponds to a
_difference_ of Y in PSNR, for some content- and codec-dependent values of
X and Y. And you don't need theory to prove this, just encode something at
multiple bitrates.

--Loren Merritt