[MEncoder-users] encode to h264 (flash support)

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) microchip at telenet.be
Mon Mar 3 20:40:42 CET 2008

wrote:
> > > b-frames. If
> > >
> > > I see. is there some workaround for this (except using other
> > > programs, if possible)? I think not using b-frames in h.264 is not
> > > good idea. Or I will wait for some next release of mencoder, where it
> > > will be fixed?
> >
> > not at the moment, this won't be fixed any time soon. If you want to
> > directly output to h264+b-frames MP4 then use ffmpeg, not mencoder
>
> (being a newbie to encoding), why would you suggest ffmpeg and not x264
> to do the encoding.

I don't know, it was the first thing that popped into my mind. :) x264 is
perfectly fine too but it only accepts raw yuv sources and must be compiled
with gpac support for mp4 output

> I recently went through the process of trying to encode some avi files,
> that would not play with mplayer or mencoder (it would bomb out), I had
> to use transcode with import lav not ffmpeg (just realised i could have
> probably done the same with mencoder) export to yuv4mpeg and then
> process with x264, process the audio and then merge back together with
> MP4Box
>
> Is there any time frame on when mencoder will be able to handle mp4
> files directly ?

mencoder already handles mp4's just fine, if you don't use b-frames that is.
I'm no mencoder expert/coder but I think someone just needs to rewrite
mencoder.c and add proper lavc support into it... fix the damn timestamps :)

> > > (don't GN> use lavf) and then use MP4Box to remux the AVI into the MP4
> > > container
> > >
> > > yes, this worked quite OK (I get A/V sync errors...), so in other
> > > words I _have_ to use mp4box if I want h.264 with b-frames, right ?
> >
> > no, see above, you can use ffmpeg which does proper muxing
> >
> > you get A/V sync errors because you have to append the harddup video
> > filter at the end of the filter chain
> >
> > > also for encoding HE-AAC I can use mencoder using faac, or I have use
> > > neroAacEnc?
> >
> > mencoder/faac don't support yet HE-AAC, so you have to use neroAacEnc or
> > aacplusenc
> >
> > http://teknoraver.campuslife.it/software/mp4tools/aacplusenc-0.16.3.tar.b
> >z2
> >
> > > Thank you.