[MEncoder-users] Newbie struggling with pullup

Scott W. Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Mon Mar 3 18:34:51 CET 2008

"Laine Lee" <llee at lonestar.utsa.edu> wrote:
> Here's a sample command. I want to be sure you understand that "-vf
> framestep=2,filmdint=fast=0,softskip,harddup" did work better than my
> decimate. Anyway, I'm trying to drop any frame that is even remotely
> similar
> to its neighbor with these decimate parameters, and I still don't seem to
> be
> getting that result. Picture quality is excellent, though.

The real test for these kinds of filters is to run them on material that
has very little change from frame to frame. Try them on a dimly lit scene
with little action and camera motion. You may find that the filter will
start eliminating the wrong frames because they all qualify as duplicates,
while frames that should be duplicates (following the 3:2 pattern)
actually have more change between them and won't be eliminated.

It can be frustrating because your filter may run perfectly on material
that doesn't hit these two cases, but then fails later when it comes
across them.