[MEncoder-users] "High Quality" H.264 at low bit rates ;)

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) microchip at telenet.be
Mon Mar 3 13:04:30 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 12:55, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> > either the VHQ or the EHQ preset. If you want to futher improve the
> > quality of your encodes in dark flat areas, then get the adaptive
> > quantization patch for x264 and patch & recompile x264
>
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> This patch and a custom compiled, recent svn version of x264 seem to
> slightly improve the video quality.
>
> However I'm still not sure if I get the most out of x264 I could...

you can get the ME prepass patch which also will improve things. also the
gaussian complexity blur patch improves slightly 2-pass ratecontrol

http://files.x264.nl/x264_patches/force.php?file=./x264_me-prepass_DeathTheSheep.01.diff
http://files.x264.nl/x264_patches/force.php?file=./x264.gaussian.cplxblur.01.diff

ME prepass is turned off by default so you'll have to enable it with
me_prepass

> Greetings,
>
>   Gunter

Regards